The Afternoon Science program is designed to offer homeschool students an opportunity to spend an afternoon together participating in a scientific lab, a demonstration and exploring the exhibits. Be sure to make your reservations early because these popular programs fill quickly!
Ages: All ages 5-16
Time: Check-in 1:00 PM; Program between 2:00-4:00 pm. Later dismissal times may apply, as needed.
Program Cost: $6/Student (Non-dissection Labs), $7/Student (Dissection Labs).
Admission Cost: $9/per Non-member (Participating and non-participating children and adults) $0/ for Members!
*Please note day of the week, no change from previous years schedule*
- Depending on programming, the first labs and demos may start as early as 2:00 pm.
- All children must be accompanied by a registered adult.
- Due to the popularity of some programs, Science Central sometimes needs to separate age groups into separate classrooms. If your child wants to be with another child in the same age group, please note that at check-in.
- All course registrations close the week before the Wednesday event at 10:00 AM.
- Parents/Guardians are required to stay in the building for the duration of the day's program.
- Walk-ins on the day of the event will not be permitted. All course registrations close the week before the Wednesday event at 10:00 AM.
- Programs will not be delayed for late arrivals. Always give yourself the full 3 hours.
- Programs are subject to cancellation or change at Science Central's discretion.
Wednesday, October 10th
“Good Vibrations” Demonstration
Ages 5-8: Hands-Off Lab
Ages 9-12: Sound Science Lab
Ages 13-16: Energy Transfers
Wednesday, November 14th (please note this date)
Earth & Space Science
“Wild Weather” Demonstration
Ages 5-8: Storm Science Lab
Ages 9-12: Earth Processes Lab
Ages 13-16: Climate Change
Wednesday, December 12th
”Experimenting the Process” Demonstration
Ages 5-8: Engineering the Process
Ages 9-12: Engineering the Process
Ages 13-16: Engineering Project: Design Windmills
Wednesday, January 9th
Anatomy & Life Science
Ages 5-8: Crayfish Dissection
Ages 9-12: Crayfish Dissection
Ages 13-16: Crayfish Dissection
Wednesday, February 13th
Computer Science & Technology
Ages 5-8: Binary Code
Ages 9-12: Error Detection & Correction
Ages 13-16: Test and Modify Windmills
Wednesday, March 13th
”What’s the Matter?” Demonstration
Ages 5-8: Liquid Explorations
Ages 9-12: The Case of the Confused Chemist
Ages 13-16: Chemical Reactions
Notes:Programs are recommended for age groups based on the level of difficulty in content and developmental appropriateness. Please use discretion when registering your child for a program out of his or her age range. Programs are subject to cancellation or change at Science Central’s discretion. Due to the popularity of some programs, Science Central sometimes needs to separate age groups into different classes.