The Afternoon Science program is designed to offer homeschool students an opportunity to spend an afternoon together participating in a scientific lab, a demonstration and exploring the exhibits. Be sure to make your reservations early because these popular programs fill quickly!
Ages: All ages 5-16
Time: Check-in 1:00 PM; Program between 2:00-4:00 pm. Later dismissal times may apply, as needed.
Program Cost: $6/Student (Non-dissection Labs), $7/Student (Dissection Labs).
Admission Cost: $9/per Non-member (Participating and non-participating children and adults) $0/ for Members!
*Please note day of the week change from previous years schedule*
- Depending on programming, the first labs and demos may start as early as 2:00 pm.
- All children must be accompanied by a registered adult.
- Due to the popularity of some programs, Science Central sometimes needs to separate age groups into separate classrooms. If your child wants to be with another child in the same age group, please note that at check-in.
- All course registrations close the week before the Wednesday event at 10:00 AM.
- Parents/Guardians are required to stay in the building for the duration of the day's program.
- Walk-ins on the day of the event will not be permitted. All course registrations close the week before the Wednesday event at 10:00 AM.
- Programs will not be delayed for late arrivals. Always give yourself the full 3 hours.
- Programs are subject to cancellation or change at Science Central's discretion.
Wednesday, September 14
Geology/Mineral Madness Demo
Ages 5-8: Mineral Detective Lab
Ages 9-12: Rock Detective Lab
Ages 13-16: Meteorite I.D. Lab
Wednesday, October 12
Physics/Air Pressure Demo
Ages 5-8: Mr. Egg’s Ride (NEW)
Ages 9-12: Forces of Transportation Lab (NEW)
Ages 13-16: Storm the Castle! (NEW)
Wednesday, November 9
Ages 5-8: Squid Dissection
Ages 9-12: Squid Dissection
Ages 13-16: Squid Dissection
Wednesday, December 14
Technology/ Electrical Extravaganza Demo
Ages 5-8: Binary Code (NEW)
Ages 9-12: Card Flip Trick- Error Detection & Correction (NEW)
Ages 13-16: Intro to Visible Light Spectrum
Wednesday, January 11
Physiology/ No Butts About It Demo
Ages 5-8: Terms of Germs
Ages 9-12: Body Matters Lab (NEW)
Ages 13-16: Diseases on the Move (NEW)
Wednesday, February 8
Chemistry/What’s the Matter Demo
Ages 5-8: Red Cabbage Magic (NEW)
Ages 9-12: Mixed Reactions (NEW)
Ages 13-16: Determining the Effectiveness of Antacids by pH (NEW)
Wednesday, March 8
Astronomy/Star Lab Demo
Ages 5-8: Shadow Play
Ages 9-12: Moon Phase Lab
Ages 13-16: Rocket Science Lab
Wednesday, April 12
Ecology/Rainforest Survivor Demo
Ages 5-8: Teeth as Tools Lab
Ages 9-12: Mapping Animal Behavior (NEW)
Ages 13-16: Adaptation Artistry (NEW)
Wednesday, May 10
Meteorology/Wild Weather Demo
Ages 5-8: Young Forecasters Lab
Ages 9-12: Young Forecasters Lab
Ages 13-16: Sizing up the Clouds (NEW)
Program info Sheet.