SPECIAL ABILITIES DAYS
PRESENTED BY AWS FOUNDATION AND SCIENCE CENTRAL
- Tuesday, December 6 (10-4 pm) ~ closed to the public
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - open to the public
- Tuesday, March 7, 2017 - closed to the public <Due to overwhelming requests, we can have no more groups before 12 noon. This day only.>
- Sunday, May 28, 2017 - open to the public
- Sunday, August 13, 2017 - open to the public, Solar Eclipse Preparation Day!
- Get free solar eclipse viewing glasses while supplies last! Learn how to safely experience the solar eclipse through hands-on activities and demonstrations.
- Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - closed to the public
- Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - open to the public
FREE TO MEMBERS OF THE SPECIAL-ABILITIES COMMUNITY WITH PRE-REGISTRATION
Through the generous support of the AWS Foundation over the previous three years, Science Central has hosted Special Abilities Days, days dedicated to providing fun science education for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The days have been well received by families and organizations and attendance has grown each year. As a result of increased demand for programming, the AWS Foundation and Science Central are proud to present six Special Abilities Days in 2017. Science Central will be closed to the general public for two of the days and open to the general public on four of them.
Science Central wants to provide science education for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities by making modifications to traditional programming. These include the following modifications:
- Light and sound reduction in some areas
- Higher light levels in areas that are usually dark
- Access to listening devices
- A less crowded environment free from unnecessary distractions
- Extra staff on hand
- Additional demonstrations with extra tactile stimulation
This interactive tour is available to help with any before-you-arrive orientations.