An educational institution providing inspiring and fun hands-on science education for people of all ages whose website receives over 48,000 annual visits — Science Central strives to provide the best possible experience on our website. To that end, we are committed to protecting the private information of those who interact with us online. Science Central’s website adheres to the following policy for ensuring the privacy of your personally identifiable information such as full name, address, email address, telephone number, credit card information, and/or other personally identifiable information.
Collection and Use of Information
- When interacting with our website, you may be prompted to provide some personally identifiable information. This could include, but is not limited to: signing up for programming, making purchases through our ticketing website, requesting additional information, etc.
- Science Central may use the personally identifiable information you supply to us, to extend promotional offers (such as invitations to Science Central events) or to send administrative or service-related announcements (such as programming change notices).
- When technically possible, Science Central may offer the ability to opt out of marketing solicitations. Communications related to purchases, event registrations, follow-up information, donations, etc. are exempted.
- On occasion, Science Central may use trusted 3rd party providers to assist with our daily operations. We only use providers that we believe impose reasonable safeguards on the privacy of your information.
- We may use personally identifiable information in order to prevent improper use of our IT infrastructure, or as otherwise necessary to defend against or assist in the investigation of improper or illegal activity on our IT infrastructure.
- We may use or disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights; to protect the rights, safety, or property of others; and/or to participate in a judicial proceeding, comply with a court order, respond to other legal processes served on us or our website, or complete a transaction involving the transfer of Science Central operations related to the information, or as due diligence and preparatory work relating to such a transaction.
Science Central’s website uses technology that automatically collects a wide range of statistical information (including IP addresses) about the use of our website to determine how visitors interact with the site. Taken by themselves, IP addresses are not considered personally identifiable information. Ultimately, this statistical information helps us modify and improve the website experience. We may provide access to these statistics to prospective partners and other third parties as needed to promote Science Central, and for other lawful purposes. This technology does not identify visitors personally – it simply enables us to compile statistics about the use of the website.
Science Central’s website uses a technology tool called a "cookie." At no time will the cookie reveal to others your name, email address, street address, or telephone number (even if you have submitted this information to other areas of our website). You can choose whether to accept cookies by adjusting the settings of your browser; however your interaction with our website may be limited to certain minimal functionality.
Science Central’s website may contain links to other websites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are being redirected to a website administered by another organization. Please be aware that Science Central is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites. Accordingly, we encourage you to read the privacy statements of other websites, as their policies may differ from ours.
Children (under the age of 13)
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) restricts the collection of personal information from children under 13.
Science Central is concerned about protecting children's privacy. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children. There are some locations where children may post messages or provide feedback, but children are discouraged from providing personal information. If a visitor known to be a child under the age of 13 sends an e-mail to Science Central, we will only use it to respond to the writer and not to create a customer profile for that child.
There are currently limited ways for users to post information, comments, computer file uploads, recommendations, ratings, personal blogs or other information to Science Central’s website and many more through the use of Social Media. If you elect to post information to our website or to a Science Central-administered Social Media site, please be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there is open to the general public and can be read, collected, or used by other users. Any identifiable information could be widely disclosed, posted elsewhere on the Internet, or used to contact you or send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums and urge users to exercise caution before publicly posting any personally identifiable information.
Sharing of Information
Science Central strives to protect the privacy of our visitors. We do not share our visitor, membership, or donor information with any outside entities, except for those companies that we must work with to conduct our business. When we do work with such companies (for example, ticketing software providers or advertising firms), we ensure that they too are committed to protecting the privacy of our visitors. Certain aggregate data, which does not identify specific patrons or their personal information, may be shared with funders, government organizations, and other museums and groups.
Science Central does not share its mailing or telephone lists with political candidates, parties or campaign organizations.
There may be some limited circumstances in which Science Central shares or transfers the information contained in our databases. Examples could include, but are not limited to, updating or switching software providers; to protect the security or integrity of our databases or our website; taking precautions against liability; complying with state, federal or local laws or judicial requests; or to provide information to law enforcement agencies to the extent required by law.
Email, Newsletters, Mailings, and Informational Updates
Science Central collects and maintains in its databases the names and postal addresses of many visitors and past program participants. These individuals may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new programs, upcoming events, or with survey or donation requests. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please see the Changes to Your Information section below.
Changes to Your Information
If you have any questions or comments about this privacy statement, please contact:
1950 N. Clinton St.
Fort Wayne, IN 46805