Science Central Timeline

1908:  Location of an earlier, smaller power plant

1929:  Construction of this building, City Light & Power

1975:  City Light & Power ceased generation of electricity

1981:  Started as a volunteer group; Solar Collective of Northeast Indiana

1982:  Filed for non-profit status with the IRS

1987:  Changed the name to Science Collective of Northeast Indiana

1989:  Changed the name to Science Central

1990:  Granted non-profit status from the IRS as Science Central

1991:  City of Fort Wayne provides this building


Started science outreach programs into the community
Developed the first two logos
First President, Mary Louise Majewski


Science Central opens.
Started scout overnights and school field trips

1996:  First Doctor’s Day, Festival of Trains, Bridge-Building Competition


First Countdown To Noon
Second President, Ann Fumarolo

2000:  Installed “Sera the Triceratops”

2003:  First First Lego League Competition


One millionth visitor
Celebrated the 10th year


Installed “Fred the Mastodon”
Third President, Martin S. Fisher

2009:  First Egg Drop Competition


Developed the third, current logo
Opened Science On a Sphere

2014:  Two millionth visitor

2015:  Celebrated the 20th year