- Last Updated: Wednesday, 31 May 2017 19:38
Science on a Sphere Intern
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Involvement with informal, hands-on, educational science center programs (physical, natural and applied sciences); the Intern will work with the Education Director and the Technology Programs Manager; the Intern will be responsible for learning how to operate the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Science On a Sphere (SOS) exhibit; present current scientific data on SOS utilizing NASA and NOAA datasets; and develop new presentations of the data; audiences include the general public, schools, scouts, teachers, special groups.
The Science On a Sphere Intern will be responsible for learning, researching, developing and presenting interactive Sphere-related programs at Science Central.
Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Start up and shut down SOS equipment
- Maintain system, including software updates
- Research NASA and NOAA datasets
- Present demonstrations to public, school groups, camps and teen interns
- Learn and develop basic SOS programs
- Align projectors
- Assist in presentations for Interactive Video Conferencing
- Assist in Spring, Summer and Winter science and technology Camps at Science Central
- Gather and collate basic survey data about visitor engagement
REQUIRED SKILLS: Able to easily navigate basic computer systems including Mac or Microsoft; good communication, public speaking and presentation skills; comfort with and interest in science and education; both team-oriented and self-directed; flexibility; problem-solver; professional in attitude and appearance; energetic; and enthusiastic.
QUALIFICATIONS: Advanced Automatics and Robotics Technology; Biotechnology; Computer Science; Database Management & Administration; Education; Electronics & Computer Technology; General Studies; Informatics; Information Technology Support; Liberal Arts; Server Administration; Software Development and Visual Communications.
SCHEDULE: Temporary intern from August 2017 – April 2018. 10-20 hours per week. Schedule will be flexible, with days and time to be agreed upon by Education Director and Intern